TWELVE TRUTHS ABOUT LEGISLATION
1) Any law the electorate sees as being open to being perverted from
its original intent will be perverted in a manner that exceeds the
manner of perversion seen at the time.
2) Any law that is so difficult to pass it requires the citizens be
assured it will not be a stepping stone to worse laws will in fact be
a stepping stone to worse laws.
3) Any law that requires the citizens be assured the law does not
mean what the citizens fear, means exactly what the citizens fear.
4) Any law passed in a good cause will be interpreted to apply to
causes against the wishes of the people.
5) Any law enacted to help any one group will be applied to harm
people not in that group.
6) Everything the government says will never happen will happen.
7) What the government says it could not foresee, the government has
8) When there is a budget shortfall to cover non-essential government
services the citizens will be given the choice between higher taxes
or the loss of essential government services.
9) Should the citizens mount a successful effort to stop a piece of
legislation the same legislation will be passed under a different name.
10) All deprivations of freedom and choice will be increased rather
11) Any government that has to build safeguards into a law so that it
will not be abused is providing guidelines for abusing the law
without violating it.
12) Any legislator up for re-election will vote against a bad law if
and only if there are enough other votes to pass it.